Thursday, April 02, 2009

Ian Allan Bookshop Waterloo


I read today on TMP about a bookshop right next to Waterloo Station that stocks wargames figures. Well, I got along there his afternoon and whilst it is mainly a railway bookshop it has a few packs of Great War Miniatures and others, some 1/35 stuff and quite a good military book section. I bought about five packs of GWM, some Crusader pirates and two books on the Zulu War I didn't have. So £54 gone and I still caught my train, as it is literally less than five minutes from my station. Bad news! The very helpful ladies said that they could order me anything in, which would save the postage.

Ian Allan
45/46 Lower Marsh, Waterloo, London, SE1 7RG - click here for map
Tel: 020 7401 2100
Fax: 020 7401 2887

e-mail: waterloo@ianallanpublishing.co.uk
Opening Hours:
Mon-Fri 9am to 5.30pm, Sats 9am to 5pm,
Suns & Bank Holidays Closed

Coincidentally, Ian Allan himself lived about 100 yards from where I did when I was younger. His nephew was in my class at junior school. He was quite a well known character in my village, Laleham-on-Thames: famously he had lost a leg as a youngster and had an artificial one, which was a fact of great interest to my schoolmates! His publishing house HQ was at the end of the railway line in Shepperton where I caught my train to senior school every day.

1 comment:

  1. Shepperton station which wasn't far from my school Halliford! He owned a superb a large 'garden railway set up' called Great Cockrow railway at Chertsey as well, where large sit on and ride steam trains were driven by chaps who were heathrow pilots by day & engine drivers in their spare time!

    ReplyDelete